Re: git diff --patience

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: git diff --patience
Date: 2010-09-30 20:23:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached are two versions of the same patch, with and without --patience.

The with-patience version has only two hunks, removal of a big block of
comment and addition of a big block of code.

The without-patience patience is riddled with the mix of two hunks, spread
until line 120.

--patience is a clear winner here.

Regards,

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov
> wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>
> > Do you have an existing commit where you see a difference so I can
> > try it and see if there is some other problem that my local
> > configuration has?
>
> Random poking around in the postgresql.git commits didn't turn up
> any where it mattered, so here's before and after files for the
> example diff files already posted. If you create branch, commit the
> before copy, and copy in the after copy, you should be able to
> replicate the results I posted.
>
> -Kevin
>

> --

gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company
http://www.EnterpriseDB.com

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Attachment Content-Type Size
diff_without_patience.patch application/octet-stream 7.1 KB
diff_with_patience.patch application/octet-stream 7.1 KB