Re: Confusing Linux download page

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing Linux download page
Date: 2010-06-13 14:07:00
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 15:58, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> But we *don't* have the simple option first. The simple option is to
>> go into Applications->Software Center, pick postgresql, and click
>> install. That's a hell of a lot simpler than the oneclicks,
>> particularly when you look at patching.
>
> Only if you have such an app, and you have the required repository
> configured. If not, then it's a lot more complex to explain.

Well, you and me clearly disagree on which is the easiest for the end
users, particularly in the long term. I'd be interested in hearing
what others think as well on this, so please chime in if you have an
opinion :-)

In the interest of moving the discussion forward, what do you think of
the changes assuming we move the oneclicks back up to the top of the
list? This being then just the addition of an introduction paragraph
and a list of all the sub-sections on the page to make them easier to
find? (it's particularly hard given that our subheader color really
doesn't do a good job of making them stand out)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/