Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by)

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by)
Date: 2010-08-04 19:32:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 4 August 2010 20:25, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 13:11, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>
>>> FWIW I think we can still change it.   Isn't this type of issue part
>>> of what beta is for?  If we were in RC that would be a different story
>>> :)
>>
>> Well, it'd take an initdb to get rid of it.
>
> I think forcing an initdb might be more trouble than this wart is worth.
>
>> In the past we've avoided
>> forcing initdb post-beta1 unless it was Really Necessary.  OTOH, we seem
>> to be in the mode of encouraging beta testers to test pg_upgrade, so
>> maybe that concern isn't worth much at the moment.
>
> I have one or two 9.0-beta databases,  a forced initdb would defiantly
> motivate me to try pg_upgrade :).  To me, the question is are  we
> planning on releasing a new beta anyway?  Maybe its worth it then.  If
> we were planning on going RC after this last beta (and I dont think we
> were?), I agree with Kevin, its not something worth pushing the
> release 9.0 for.  By that I mean I assume if we force an initdb that
> we would want to do another beta regardless.
>
> Either way, I don't have strong feelings on this other than if we dont
> fix it now when will we?  Maybe we will get "lucky" and someone will
> find an issue that we have to initdb for anyways :).

I think it should be left exactly how it is. It only needed
clarification in the documentation to explain its usage for the
scenario in question, and probably a couple entries in the regression
tests as they're lacking at the moment.

I wish I had held back on mentioning it as I remembered later that
this has already been discussed to a degree, and I'd probably have
kept my mouth shut upon recalling it.

--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935