Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions
Date: 2010-12-27 11:00:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:34, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-27 at 10:36 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> > Is backup part of this new privilege, or not?
>>
>> The "integrated base backup", once we have that, that's based on the
>> walsender protocol? yes.
>> pg_dump style backups? No.
>
> Where does pg_start_backup()/stop fit?

Good question :)

Given that the integrated-base-backup would call it for you, that one
would definitely get it automatically.

Given that the latest discissions seem to have most people wanting the
replication role *not* to be allowed to log in and run general SQL, we
should not drive the start/stop backup permissions from that
privilege.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/