Open items related to SR

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Open items related to SR
Date: 2010-05-26 08:02:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Many open items related to SR are listed on the wiki again.
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items

I clarify the status of those items.

> Smart shutdown gets stuck - patch to fix from Fuji Masao

Robert is reviewing and testing the patch I submitted.
I believe that the patch will be applied soon :)

> Where should wal_level description and location be in postgresql.conf

I don't think this should be addressed.

> Patch for distinguishing normal shutdown from unexpected exit

Robert is reviewing the patch I submitted.

> keep_mumble or min_wal_segments naming

Nobody has proposed a parameter name which everyone accepts.
This seems not to be worth further discussion, so how about
removing this from open items?

> xlog timeline 0 pg_xlogfile_name_offset

This subject doesn't match the linked discussion. The subject
represents the same problem as that of another item "Streaming
replication and pg_xlogfile_name()".

In the linked discussion, I submitted the patch which adds new
function useful for truncating the unnecessary archived files.
But, after that, restartpoint_command was committed for that
purpose, so we don't need to apply the patch right now. Remove
the item?

> Streaming replication and pg_xlogfile_name()

As the result of the discussion, Heikki and I decided not to
address the root cause, but to just throw an error in
pg_xlogfile_name() if called during recovery.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-04/msg00075.php

We need to do nothing anymore for 9.0. How about moving the
item to 9.1 or later?

> Assertion failure in walreceiver

Already fixed.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-02/msg00356.php