Re: .oO - Translation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .oO - Translation
Date: 2011-02-28 09:39:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:03, Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de> wrote:
> On 27.02.2011 21:45, damien clochard wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure to understand exactly what your proposition is about, but i
>> guess i can give some feedback on how postgresql.fr works...
>
> Damien,
>
> I know that the French already do much effort here.
> Effort - that wasn't necessary in Germany in past - Also not because Peter
> already
> once translated and published all years ago.
>
> Of course I am sure we could use postgresql.de here (it belongs somebody of
> German community) -
> but there are several reasons, why I asked if it is possible with .org:
>
> 1. Easier to recognise changes on English original

We know from experience that this tends to not work. You'll end up
with partial translation and out-of-date translations. We tried it,
and failed. Then we tried the separate-site (both the french and the
japanese, and I think also the brazilians?) and it has worked really
well.

Nothing prevents you from doing a site that will look exactly the same
but in german. In fact, if you can do that and keep it up to date for
a while, that would be the "proof required" to consider integrating a
fully translated mode.

That said, as a *visitor*, I very much prefer the separate-site method
used by e.g. postgresqlfr, to the integrated method used by some other
sites. It often makes change to have structural differences as well -
in particular if the site isn't 100% translated.

Could we push the translated/local communities better with links
inside the site? Yes, probably. Should we? Yes, probably. But that's a
different thing.

> 2. Delivering - for example the Debian guys could deliver docs with packages
> depending on language - Or add packages for special language support.

They can still do that. Once you have a full translation available
somewhere, it's trivial to package it, and does not depend on *where*
it is.

> 3. Publisher rights - not sure - if it is allowed to publish as "The
> PostgreSQL Global Development Group"
> under foreign domain.

Sure, go right ahead.

> 4. Why reinventing wheel instead of doing it same ways as for messages?
> Maybe in contrib instead of core.

Integrating the translation to the site *is* reinventing the wheel. We
have a wheel that works well now - separate sites. The code we have
for translation on the main site is hopelessly broken and would need
to be rewritten from scratch - and this is not likely to be done as
long as the majority of the people who work with it prefer the
external-site method...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/