Re: Use hardware snapshots to restore postgres

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jigar shah <jshah1982(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use hardware snapshots to restore postgres
Date: 2010-08-29 02:05:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM, jigar shah <jshah1982(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> thanks Scott. i have read and used this article a lot of times before.
>
> in section 24.3.2, step number 3 says
>
> "3. Perform the backup, using any convenient file-system-backup tool such as
> tar or cpio. It is neither necessary nor desirable to stop normal operation
> of the database while you do this. "
>
> so instead of tar or cpio, i am looking for the procedure where you can use
> hardware level snapshots of the postgres filesystem, which you can take on
> san (3par) or nas (netapp) or any other vendor hardware, and then mount the
> postgres filesystem snapshot to a different host.
>
> i know a lot of ppl use this procedure, but cant find a good doc for this
> procedure.

I found little on the google about snapshotting with 3par. I'd guess
they gave you docs on how to do that. I hope. I found plenty on
doing it with other file systems / etc, like LVM, ZFS, Microsoft, EMC.

For 3par I searched google for "3par snapshot howto" and the first
result was a pdf that seems to show what to do, but doesn't feel like
definitive documentation. They're big on marketing, not so much on
documentation it seems.