Re: documentation for committing with git

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: documentation for committing with git
Date: 2010-08-04 10:32:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> I'm a bit disappointed that the wiki page advises against git-new-workdir -
> that's exactly what I was planning to use. It claims there's data loss
> issues with that, does someone know the details? Is there really a risk of
> data loss if multiple workdirs are used, in our situation?

As I understand it, there is a risk of corruption if you ever do "git
gc" in the respository that the get-new-workdir was spawned from. See
also Daniel Farina's email, here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg01489.php

It's not easy for me to mentally verify that the way I work won't
cause problems with this approach, but you may feel differently, and
that's fine.

> PS. I highly recommend always using "git push --dry-run" before the real
> thing, to make sure you're not doing anything funny.

Ah, that sounds like a good idea.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company