Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: SAKAMOTO Masahiko <sakamoto(dot)masahiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: SQL/MED(FDW) DDL
Date: 2010-09-16 06:58:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM, SAKAMOTO Masahiko
<sakamoto(dot)masahiko(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> This is designed to be used in the executor module.
> The API has some simple interfaces, such as FreeConnection,
> Open, Iterate, Close, ReOpen, and OnError.

Of course they are similar APIs mentioned in the SQL standard, but
I'm not sure they are enough for all purposes. For example, they
don't have planner hooks, but we will need them eventually to push
down ORDER BY and LIMIT into FDW.

We could learn from MySQL's storage engine interface, because
they are designed for flat file wrapper at first, but enhanced
with pains for condition push-down.

--
Itagaki Takahiro