Re: 9.0.1-1 windows install VC++ 2008 redistributalbe warning

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: David Balažic <xerces9(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.0.1-1 windows install VC++ 2008 redistributalbe warning
Date: 2010-10-29 13:52:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:40 PM, David Balažic <xerces9(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> http://get.enterprisedb.com/postgresql/postgresql-9.0.1-1-windows.exe
>
> Upon starting the abov installer, I get a dialog titled
> "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148"
>
> It lists the window titles of some processes, like MS Outlook, Firefox, Eclipse
> and has 3 buttons: Cancel, Retry and Ignore
>
> 1.) It does not say what it wants or why did it appear.
>
> 2.) It looks like the "these programs should be closed before I can
> continue" dialogs, in which case:
> Why is for example Eclipse needed to close to install a VC++ library?
> Eclipse is a Java program.

Thats the Microsoft runtime installer, which is included in the
PostgreSQL installer. Unfortunately, as it's written and supplied by
Microsoft, we don't have any idea how or why it works as it does. We
just know we need the runtimes it installs.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company