Re: odbc

From: David Bear <David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu>
To: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: odbc
Date: 2011-03-30 16:18:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu> wrote:

> I am running postgres on a red hat linux server.
>
> postgresql-python-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> postgresql-test-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> postgresql-libs-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> postgresql-docs-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> postgresql-contrib-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> postgresql-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> postgresql-pl-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> *postgresql-odbc-08.01.0200-3.1*
>
> postgresql-jdbc-8.1.407-1jpp.4
>
> postgresql-server-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>
> postgresql-tcl-8.1.23-1.el5_6.1
>

> User on windows computers would like to odbc to the postgres databases.
>
> I downloaded the windows postgres odbc drivers from the following site and
> installed version “psqlodbc-08_01_0200” on the windows computer.
>
> http://ftp9.us.postgresql.org/pub/mirrors/postgresql/odbc/versions/msi/
>

> When I configure a “File Data Source” connection in access, I cannot
> connect to the postgresql database. I get the message, “A connection could
> not be made using the file data source parameters entered. Save non-verified
> file DSN?”
>
> The parameters entered are:
>
> Database: database_name
>
> Server: I entered the IP address of the server
>
> User Name: I entered postgres
>
> Password:
>
> SSL Mode: prefer
>
> Port: 5432 (which is the port used by postgres)
>

> Do I need to configure the /etc/odbc.ini file? It is currently just a blank
> file.
>

> Thanks for any help.

You also need to make sure postgresql is listening on a public IP address
AND you don't have any intervening filewall -- hostbased or otherwise. Be
default, redhad does not allow connections to port 5432 via its standard
rule set. I would install something like pgadmin on the windows client and
see if that will allow you to connect first. If pgadmin connects, then its
likely and odbc config issue.

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU