Re: COPY ENCODING revisited

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY ENCODING revisited
Date: 2011-02-18 11:12:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 03:57, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Itagaki Takahiro
> I am not qualified to fully review this patch because I'm not all that
> familiar with the encoding stuff, but it looks reasonably sensible on
> a quick read-through.  I am supportive of making a change in this area
> even at this late date, because it seems to me that if we're not going
> to change this then we're pretty much giving up on having a usable
> file_fdw in 9.1.  And since postgresql_fdw isn't in very good shape
> either, that would mean we may as well give up on SQL/MED.  We might
> have to do that anyway, but I don't think we should do it just because
> of this issue, if there's a reasonable fix.

One design issue is the new function names:
extern char *pg_client_to_server(const char *s, int len);
extern char *pg_server_to_client(const char *s, int len);
+ extern char *pg_any_to_server(const char *s, int len, int encoding);
+ extern char *pg_server_to_any(const char *s, int len, int encoding);

They don't contain any words related to "encoding" or "conversion".

Ishii-san, do you have comments? I guess you designed the area.
Please let me know if there are better alternatives.

--
Itagaki Takahiro