Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"
Date: 2011-01-11 11:22:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>>> While looking at the backend code, I realized that error code for
>>> "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery" is
>>> ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN.
>>>
>>> I thought the error code is for somewhat a human interruption, such as
>>> shutdown command issued by pg_ctl. Is the usage of the error code
>>> appropreate?
>>
>> That doesn't sound right to me.  I'd have thought something in class 40.
>
> What about:
>
> 40004 CONFLICT WITH RECOVERY conflict_with_recovery

We should respect the following convention, from errcodes.h:

* The convention is that new error codes defined by PostgreSQL in a
* class defined by the standard have a subclass value that begins
* with 'P'. In addition, error codes defined by PostgreSQL clients
* (such as ecpg) have a class value that begins with 'Y'.

And don't forget there are three places where the new error code would
need to be added.

Otherwise, +1.

--
Robert Haas