Re: Confusing Linux download page

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing Linux download page
Date: 2010-06-13 13:48:14
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 15:43, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

>>> The primary change in the current one was to put the one-clicks first,
>>> so those with a shorter-than-normal attention span found something
>>> that just worked and gave them the basics they needed in the vast
>>> majority of cases.
>>
>> I always thought it was listing the different download options for
>> different distributions instead of just "you can download it from our
>> ftp site" that made the difference. Was the three weeks difference
>> between those two changes really enough to determine which one was the
>> effective one?
>
> I thought the main problem was clear that some people just didn't read
> enough, or think enough, so putting the simple option first helped. It
> was usually the people that would reply with 'just give me a URL to
> what I need' that needed the help.

But we *don't* have the simple option first. The simple option is to
go into Applications->Software Center, pick postgresql, and click
install. That's a hell of a lot simpler than the oneclicks,
particularly when you look at patching.

I agree that people not reading long enough is probably the issue.
Which is why I think it's good to present a list of options first,
*before* a direct download option. You will notice that the first link
is *still* the one for graphical installers in my suggested rework.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/