Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql

From: Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)spnz(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql
Date: 2010-10-29 16:14:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:58 AM, Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)spnz(dot)org> wrote:

> My company is currently hitting a problem with mysql/innodb having really
> slow insert performance (we're seeing ~1K rows/second).  My boss wants to go
> and spend a bunch of money on the Tokutek backend.  I'd rather we save the
> money and go to postgres instead.  We're not heavily invested in mysql at
> this point (fixing our queries to switch from mysql to postgres would take
> about five minutes).  But my boss wants to see some benchmarks.
>
> I've googled around for a while, but all the benchmarks I've found commit
> one or more "fatal flaws", which render the benchmark pointless at best:
>
> 1) Comparing Postgres to MyISAM.  Transactions are not an option for us, so
> it doesn't matter if MyISAM is a hundred times faster.  I want to compare
> Postgres to InnoDB (bonus points for Postgres vr.s Tokutek).
>
> 2) Using the default configurations.  Be serious- is there any one who cares
> the least about performance who uses the default configuration?
>
> 3) Using old versions of Postgres.  I'd like the survey to at least use the
> 8.x series, bonus points for it being 9.x.
>
> 4) Not using COPY for inserts.  We would, of course, be using the copy
> command for inserts.
>
> Here's the thing.  I have personally seen postgres 8.1 insert 30K
> rows/second, in to a real table, on crappy hardware (single slow IDE drive,
> old crappy hardware).  I would be shocked if I can't improve on the InnoDB
> numbers by at least an order of magnitude.  I'm whipping together a personal
> benchmark to show this.  But I need a "professional looking" benchmark, with
> pretty charts and graphs and etc., to back me up.
>
> Help?
>
> Brian

If you post your conf I can give you pointers on InnoDB performance.
Please also post a hardware profile (including ram and IO hardware).
One way or another this is the right first step for a comparison with
PG.

As for tokutek, I think they are probably the wave of the future. I
have suggested that they create a pg product.

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com