Re: Per-column collation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per-column collation
Date: 2010-12-15 01:52:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On lör, 2010-12-04 at 18:04 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Here is an updated patch to address the issues discussed during this
>> commitfest.
>
> And another one, that fixes the problems pointed out since.

I don't really have a position on whether or not this patch is ready
to commit... but I do think that this is the sort of patch that is
very likely to have some bugs almost no matter when we commit it.
Therefore, I would argue that we ought not to let the process of
getting it committed drag out too long. Even if we find 3 more bugs,
we might have found 10 more bugs if it had been in the tree for the
same time period. Of course, any conceptual issues must be worked out
before commit. But there are likely to be some loose ends however we
do it. So when we think it's pretty close, we should move forward.
All IMHO, of course.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company