Re: SGML on functions

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SGML on functions
Date: 2010-08-27 20:57:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 27 August 2010 19:56, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> Copied from another thread...
>
> Something I've noticed is an inconsistency in the SGML markup around
> functions listed in tables.  Sometimes the entire function signature
> is considered to be the function, and other times it's just the
> function name, with its parameters outside of the <function> tags.
>
> E.g.:
>
> <function>variance</function>(<replaceable
> class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)
>
> vs
>
> <function>stddev_samp(<replaceable
> class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)</function>
>
> Which way is correct?

I've also noticed that a lot of the <screen> contents are indented as
part of the markup, but when output in HTML, each space it recreated
as it ends up in either <code> or <pre> tags.

<programlisting> contents seem to have been intentionally entered so
that they break with the indenting style so they're output correctly.
Shouldn't tags such as <screen> follow the same style so that they can
also avoid unintentional leading whitespace?
--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion