Re: Selecting the last 2 rows of a table

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Selecting the last 2 rows of a table
Date: 2010-11-09 09:42:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 9 November 2010 09:34, Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za> wrote:

> Good day all
>
> I am trying to find out how I can select the last 2 or (n amount ) of
> rows from a specific table.
>
> We have a table which has been growing rediculously the last view
> days (I must say after a code go-live).
>
> I am trying to find out what data is being written to the table that
> is causing this, however due to the size of the table at the moment, it can
> cause problems so I am just interested in the last number of records.
>

> I would appreciate any assistance in this.

Well, you'll have to decide what determines the order of your tuples. If
you have a column bound to a sequence, and that is considered to put them in
order, then it would be

SELECT my_columns
FROM my_table
ORDER BY sequence_column DESC
LIMIT 2

Or you could replace that with a date field if appropriate. But whatever
column you use, you'd need an index on it.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion