Re: pg_primary_conninfo

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_primary_conninfo
Date: 2010-12-28 16:50:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I can see the point of, say, a primary_host_address() function returning
> inet, which would be way better on both those dimensions than the
> current proposal. But I'm not sure what else would be needed.

+1, since it bypasses security risks associated with exposing
username/password.

Ability to see port number will be a useful addition.

Another case to consider is what if slave is connected to a local server
over unix-domain sockets? Returning NULL might make it ambiguous with the
case where the instance has been promoted out of standby.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device