Psycopg on OSX

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Psycopg on OSX
Date: 2011-02-11 16:16:59
Lists: psycopg

Hello,

Installing psycopg on Mac OS X is less straightforward than it should
be, according to the amount of people complaining on their blog,
twitter etc. No one has dared providing any patch though.

http://initd.org/psycopg/articles/2010/11/11/links-about-building-psycopg-mac-os-x/

My shot in the dark is that pg_config is installed in some
non-standard location out of the PATH and psycopg setup starts with
wrong defaults for the libs. Based on this preconception I've modified
the setup to stop with an explicit error message if pg_config is not
found, instead of trying the luck. The change is already in Psycopg
2.4 beta 1.

Could anyone please test with the beta1 if it is still so tricky to
install psycopg on OS X? Or if it's worse? Patches to improve the
setup are happily accepted.

Thank you very much.

-- Daniele