bytea type shows different size on FreeBSD

From: Landreville <landreville(at)deadtreepages(dot)com>
To: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bytea type shows different size on FreeBSD
Date: 2011-02-12 00:48:32
Lists: psycopg

I'm using psycopg-2.4 beta1 on FreeBSD and it is giving me a size that is
twice the actual size for the bytea field on a table. In OSX and Linux using
the same psycopg2 version the size is listed as 6151 (which is correct)
while under FreeBSD it lists the size as 12303.

Has anyone else encountered this, or is there some way I can do further
debugging to determine the cause?