Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2010-12-28 17:10:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't follow, what do you mean with "failure modes"? The oid in the
> filename? I suggested to use a sequence instead but you didn't comment on
> that. Are there any other failure modes which could cause a diff -r between
> two different databases to break?

Both OID and sequence mean that your likely to get a diff which is
nothing more than complete files removed from 1 side and added to the
othe rside with different names (i.e. oid's don't match, or an
added/removed object changes all following sequence assingments).

If you're going to try and split, I really think the only usefull
filename has to be similar to something like:

If you want to use "diff", you pretty much have to make sure that the
*path* will be identical for similary named objects, irrespective of
anything else in the database. And path has to be encoding aware.

And you want names that glob well, so for instance, you could exclude
*.data (or a schema) from the diff.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca                                       command like a king,