Re: BUG #5468: Pg doesn't send accepted root CA list to client during SSL client cert request

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5468: Pg doesn't send accepted root CA list to client during SSL client cert request
Date: 2010-05-21 14:35:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> Bug reference:      5468
> Logged by:          Craig Ringer
> Email address:      craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
> Operating system:   Ubuntu 10.04, but affects all
> SSL client cert request
> Details:

This is actually not a bug, but a documented way how it's done. It's
actually even on the TODO to get it fixed, referencing bug #5245 -
from what I can tell that's what you're talking about, except we need
to send it in both directions?

> When configured to request a client certificate by the installation of the
> 'root.crt' file in the data dir, PostgreSQL will instruct OpenSSL to send a
> CertificateRequest message during the SSL handshake. This asks the client to
> send a certificate.
>
> However, Pg doesn't tell OpenSSL to present the list of accepted signing
> roots to the client, so the client has no way of knowing what client
> certificate to present.
>
> Existing clients (such as psql) generally only have one certificate/key
> pair, and will blindly present it without checking what the server supports.
> So it works fine.
>
> If a client has a selection of keypairs, however, it will be unable to
> negotiate with the server as it has no way to know which keypair to offer.
> It can brute-force this with multiple connection attempts, but that's more
> than little ugly. It may also try to guess the right client cert to send
> based on the cert the server presented, but that'll only work if the server
> cert happens to be signed by the same CA as the client certs, which is
> frequently NOT the case.
>
> Pg needs to tell OpenSSL to present the accepted root certificate(s) to the
> client during negotiation, so the client can tell what to do. Adding a
> suitable call to SSL_CTX_set_client_CA_list(...) in
> src/backend/libpq/be-secure.c will do the trick, though it'll require
> explicit loading of the CA cert list rather than the current approach of
> just telling OpenSSL the file name.
>
> This change will fix Java/JDBC clients trying to negotiate with a Pg server.
> At present, a Java client using the Sun built-in X509KeyManager
> implementation fails to negotiate because it doesn't know what cert to
> present to the server. The user may provide a custom X509KeyManager, but in
> doing so makes it difficult for the user to use PKCS#11 hardware tokens,
> system-wide single sign-on, kerberos key storage, or other mechanisms.
>
> This issue will also affect other clients using key stores capable of
> holding multiple keys, like Mozilla's NSS and any PKCS#11 hardware token
> provider, so it's not just Java specific.

Yeah, all our (at least my) testing is done on OpenSSL - I had no idea
of this behaviour of the java layer really.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is something we can fix as a bugfix
- it'll be a pretty clear change of behaviour, so I think it's
something we will need to push back for a full release, which would
mean 9.1. What would be good is if we can collect a list of interop
issues and collect test-cases for them, because given the state of the
openssl documentation it really comes down to having fairly detailed
test-cases...

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/