Re: Add column if not exists (CINE)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kjell Rune Skaaraas <kjella79(at)yahoo(dot)no>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add column if not exists (CINE)
Date: 2010-07-26 01:27:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Kjell Rune Skaaraas <kjella79(at)yahoo(dot)no> wrote:
> At least from a performance point of view CINE should never cause a table rewrite, it should either execute as a plain CREATE or as "nothing". I don't mind if the CINE fails if the column already exists but with a different definition, so maybe it could be worded differently to make it clearer what you get?

That's what I want, too. The people saying we should implement COR
for columns seem to be, by and large, people who have never wished for
this feature and have no particular use case for either one. I have
stated my use case in the past, but it has been dismissed as stupid or
contrived. I can live with the possibility that I'm dumb, but, for
the record, I'm not making this up.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company