HTML 4.01 docs + xhtml header on postgresql.org

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: HTML 4.01 docs + xhtml header on postgresql.org
Date: 2010-10-30 00:54:13
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi all,

So I was poking around a bit, trying to see how hard it would be to
clean up the HTML that the docs get turned into. If you look at any
doc page on postgresql.org, such as
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/tutorial-advanced-intro.html>,
and run it through a validator like validator.w3.org, you'll see a
whole ton of XHTML validation errors. However, if you compare the raw
html generated by "make html", it validates as HTML 4.01 (well, for
the most part).

It looks like postgresql.org rewrites the first chunk of each doc.
page with its own XHTML, so that it can include its banner, search
box, etc. However, this is seriously messing up the validation of the
doc. pages on postgresql.org, as it's a mix of XHTML and HTML 4.01.

Now, what I'd *really* like is to get the doc pages building in clean
XHTML+CSS, though I'm a bit wary of how much work that's going to
involve. Anyone else interested in this idea?

And in the meantime, is there anything that can be reasonably done
about the postgresql.org pages? I sort of doubt folks want to move
back entirely to HTML 4.01, but just thought I'd ask.

Josh