Re: security hook on table creation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PgSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joshua Brindle <method(at)manicmethod(dot)com>, "David P(dot) Quigley" <dpquigl(at)tycho(dot)nsa(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: security hook on table creation
Date: 2010-10-12 14:09:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> wrote:
> As I introduced before, the idea of two hooks makes obvious where
> we should put the security hooks; it is next to the existing DAC
> checking. It is the best guideline, even if we will touch the code
> around object creation in the future version.
>
> If the creation-hook would be put on the place far from existing
> DAC checks, what provides us a guideline to deploy security hooks?
> It seems to me the idea of only post-creation hook try to lose
> this kind of benefit instead of half dozen of exceptions.
>
> I think MVCC visibility is just an actualization of the matters.
> The point is that we can be released from the task to consider
> where is the right place for security hooks, as long as it will
> be placed next to the existing DAC checks.
> It seems to me its simplicity of design is unignorable benefit.

In either design, you have to decide where to put the post-creation
hook. In your design, you ALSO need to decide where to put the
pre-creation hook. Deciding where to put the pre-creation hook may be
simple, but it is not as simple as not having it at all.

A possibly legitimate reason to have a pre-creation hook is to prevent
users from consuming more excessive system resources by repeatedly
performing operations that SE-Linux will end up denying, but only
after they're basically complete.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company