Re: patch (for 9.1) string functions

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: patch (for 9.1) string functions
Date: 2010-07-26 04:00:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/7/26 Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> sprintf has some issue based on common sprintf implementation and
> expecting too. For example a precision is used very dynamically - it
> has a different sense for integers and for floats, so I wouldn't have
> a sprintf in core.

Why do we need to have similar functions in core and contrib?
It will just confuse users. If you want to RAISE-version of format(),
I don't want to have stringfunc in contrib.

sprintf() is cool! So, I'd like to use sprintf() by default rather than
format() which has limited features. Almost all users don't know
well about contrib modules. Books about functions in inter-databases
don't consider about postgres' contrib modules. That's why I want to
move the useful features into core rather than contrib modules.

--
Itagaki Takahiro