Re: Postgresql 9 replication

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql 9 replication
Date: 2010-11-11 11:23:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 11 November 2010 10:50, Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za> wrote:

> Good day all
>
> I am busy testing the replication setup on Postgresql 9
> as I will need to do this for a production system soon.
>
> I have tried to do this twice now, following the
> postgresql documentation on the website, however to no avail as the
> documentation is terrible and keep on referring to other sections where you
> need to jump to and at the end of the day replication still isn't working.
> (even another dba tried to test it but no luck).
>

> Does anybody have a proper tutorial or link to one on how
> to setup the replication on postgresql 9?
>
> Has anybody done this yet with some pointers perhaps on
> what to look out for?
>
> I would really appreciate the help.

What sort of replication are you attempting to achieve? Presumably
streaming replication? And do you require hot standby with that?

If you want some sort of quickstart guide, you could try the wiki:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/What%27s_new_in_PostgreSQL_9.0

I wouldn't say the documentation is terrible. More that it is too verbose
when you want help to get this up and running.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion