Re: Postgresql partitioning - single hot table or distributed

From: sam mulube <sam(dot)mulube(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql partitioning - single hot table or distributed
Date: 2010-06-30 14:20:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Vick,

Currently we aren't deleting anything due to business requirements
though at some point we will have to start deleting out some data. I
suspect when we do it won't be as simple as just dropping the oldest
data; some customers will have data that we want to keep permanently,
while others will be ok to be dropped after 30 days.

Inserting directly into the specific partition is interesting, but if
you're going to go down that route then aren't you starting to
implement the partitioning yourself in application code. In that case
what benefit does keeping the Postgresql partitioning in place
actually give you?

Thanks for the reply.

Sam