Re: Select only active entries

From: Luiz Eduardo Cantanhede Neri <lecneri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: postgresql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Select only active entries
Date: 2010-07-26 18:14:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

I just think about another solution:
Add another column as bit or bool to indicate if that row is active.

Exemple
 id | is_active | valid_row
----+-------------+----------------
 5 | t | f
 5 | f | f
 6 | t | f
 7 | t | t
 8 | t | f
 5 | t | t
 8 | f | t
 9 | t | t
 10 | t | f
 6 | f | t
 10 | f | t

to get result as you want

SELECT id, is_active FROM foo WHERE is_valid = t AND valid_row = t

and before you insert an item, UPDATE foo set valid_row = f WHERE id = @id.

But yet timestamp or bigserial would give you less effort.