Re: BUG #5807: psql fails to launch with "Cannot read termcap database; using dumb terminal settings. Aborted"

From: Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Gabe Nell <gabe(at)kikini(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5807: psql fails to launch with "Cannot read termcap database; using dumb terminal settings. Aborted"
Date: 2011-01-07 05:11:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

If you install libtermcap then it will start working good. We have
tested it at our end.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Gabe Nell <gabe(at)kikini(dot)com> wrote:
>> There was a change in 9.0.2 to use libedit instead of readline for
>> this (readline is GPL, which is not acceptable to some people who wish
>> to use Postgres in other products). One of my colleagues has tested
>> the issue reported and confirmed that installing the OS's termcap
>> package should solve the problem.
>
> Ubuntu doesn't seem to use termcap, an apt-cache search for termcap
> turns up nothing relevant. I did some searching and the closest
> suggestion I could find was to install libncurses5-dev, but this
> didn't help. Can you suggest that the appropriate package to install
> on Ubuntu?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

Dharmendra Goyal
Senior Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Phone: +91-20-30589493
Mobile: +91-9552103323

Website: http://www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message
contains information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be
privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive
this for the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution,
retention, archiving, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.