Re: BUG #5809: bigserial duplicate value

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Melzaiady <melzaiady(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5809: bigserial duplicate value
Date: 2011-01-06 22:48:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Melzaiady <melzaiady(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
>  i relying on PostgreSQL to supply a default value,
> i  have application at  hospital and application appear error about
> duplicate value.
> There was a primary key on this columns but i found error form my
> application about duplicate value and can`t insert value then i remove the
> primary key constraint to try  to find problem and try again i found
> bigserial  put duplicate value on fields .

I'm pretty sure there isn't a bug that's making the sequence return
duplicate values, because if there were, a lot more people would have
complained about it by now. I think there's probably a bug in your
application logic, but you haven't provided enough detail to figure
out what it is. I'd suggest examining your log files for clues, and
perhaps posting relevant sections of them here.

It's not surprising that if you're getting duplicate key errors and
you drop the index, you would then get actual duplicate keys...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company