Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)

From: Tom Wilcox <hungrytom(at)googlemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Config Changes Broke Postgres Service (Windows)
Date: 2010-05-28 13:40:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am fighting with Postgres on a 64-bit Windows (Server 2008) machine with
96GB trying to get it to use as much memory as possible (I am the only user
and I am running complex queries on large tables). [See my previous thread
for details "Out of Memory and Configuration Problems (Big Computer)"].

I have changed my postgres.conf file by changing the values of
shared_buffers to 1024, work_mem = 1024 and effective_cache_size=2703601.

Now my postgres service wont start from the windows Services dialog, however
using pgAdmin I can start the service and connect to my database, run
queries etc.

So my problem is that Windows no longer seems to think my postgres service
is running even though it appears to be working fine through a client..

Can anyone tell me what might be going on and how I can fix it so that
postgres uses as much memory and processing power as poss... in a stable
manner?

Cheers,
Tom

P.S. Sorry if this is a repeat but I have been searching for an answer to
this for a LONG time (>3months).