Re: Does enterprisedb.com down?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: John Gage <jsmgage(at)numericable(dot)fr>, postgresql Forums <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Does enterprisedb.com down?
Date: 2010-06-15 06:53:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:21, M. Bashir Al-Noimi <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net> wrote:
> On 15/06/2010 06:00 ص, John Gage wrote:
>
> I ran the IP on http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check and it is not
> blacklisted.
>
> Actually I suspect that pg takes same policy of sf.net where sf.net forbids
> open source projects to specific countries as mentioned in the following
> links (for that I migrated  my projects from sf.net to Launchpad because
> sf.net works against FOSS):
> http://arabcrunch.com/2010/01/following-clintons-internet-freedom-speech-us-based-sourceforge-blocked-syria-sudan-iran-korea-cuba-is-open-source-still-really-open.html
> http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site-access-for-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/
> http://sourceforge.net/blog/some-good-news-sourceforge-removes-blanket-blocking/
>
> So I wish to get a clarification about this issue, does pg forbids my
> country? is it still open source?

PostgreSQL does *not* forbid your country. As you showed further down
this thread, you can reach the main website and mirror systems, so
that's not where the problem is. But you wanted a statement on it.

This is, however, the second report in just a couple of days of people
not being able to reach the windows downloads that are hosted by
EnterpriseDB (I assume you are looking for the Windows downloads - if
you're actually looking for EnterpriseDB's commercial product, you
need to talk to them and not us). This indicates a real problem.

Can someone from EnterpriseDB (hi, Dave!) verify with their provider
that they do *not* intentionally or unintentionally prevent people
from downloading the software based on their location?

Unfortunately, there are no backup download locations available for
the windows installers, but you can always download the source off the
postgresql.org mirrors and build your own binaries.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/