Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Date: 2010-10-19 18:53:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> You could argue that either way I guess.  The script knows what it
>> needs, but OTOH just about every extension there is will probably
>> be generating useless NOTICEs unless something is done, so maybe
>> the extension management code should take care of it for them.
>
> Either way is the key here too, so please find attached a revised (v5)
> patch which will force log_min_messages and client_min_messages to
> WARNING while the script is run.

It seems good to do this in the normal case, but (1) if
client_min_messages was already set higher than WARNING, we probably
should not lower it and (2) we might want to have a way to lower it
for troubleshooting purposes.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company