Re: where does postgres keep the query result until it is returned?

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com
Subject: Re: where does postgres keep the query result until it is returned?
Date: 2010-10-01 08:47:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> One thing that i think works is to create a table from your results.
> That is, if your result is not one big chunk in one row that won't fit
> in memory, but lots of rows.

On second thought, that helps for the scenario where your client
looses connection or otherwise stops functioning before it has
received the whole query result, it isn't really related to the topic.
--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all
others because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw