default console user authentication?

From: George Clark <grclark78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: default console user authentication?
Date: 2010-10-12 19:49:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm trying to do a pg_dump to backup a database that is part of our phone
system. The original installers (phone people) seem to know nothing about
the superuser account, or the db admin account, and the pg_dump needs a
password authentication.

The pg_dump command is asking for the password for user "Administrator."
I'm logged into the server (a Windows Server) as the Admin user, but it is
NOT THAT password it wants, because that one fails. I am using the command:

pg_dump -p 6432 eware -f D:\Util\pgdump.log

If they did not configure a default password at install, how can I set up a
superuser acct and password so I can do some admin work with this pg
database? Right now I have no console level access to this thing.

BTW.. yes, I tried it with a blank password, no luck there either.

Thanks to the list for any help.

--
*"I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. *