Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Obsolete description in pg_ctl-ref.sgml
Date: 2010-12-15 00:17:02
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> At least the reference to section 31.14 is needless since password
>> authentication doesn't affect the pg_ctl -w for now. But, on the second
>> thought, it can still fail because of miss-configuration of connection
>> variable, for example PGHOST.
>
> I thought PQping() was supposed to handle that correctly.  There are
> four return values: PQPING_OK, PQPING_REJECT, PQPING_NO_RESPONSE,
> PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT.  I believe the last is intended to cover blatant
> misconfiguration.

True. But even though the server is running normally, the misconfiguration
might still make PQping return PQPING_NO_ATTEMPT and make pg_ctl -w
fail to wait for complete startup. Currently misconfiguration of password
authentication doesn't interfere with pg_ctl -w, so we can remove the
reference to that. But other misconfigurations can be still harm, so I thought
the sentence still needs to be in the document.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center