Re: BUG #5503: error in trigger function with dropped columns

From: Maxim Boguk <maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5503: error in trigger function with dropped columns
Date: 2010-06-15 10:53:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

HI all.

Look like no one think this behavior is bug.
Then need change documentation probably, because in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/plpgsql-trigger.html
specified:
"To alter the row to be stored, it is possible to replace single
values directly in NEW and return the modified NEW, or to build a
complete new record/row to return."

But in reality returning record or row doesn't work in insert trigger
at all in case of target table contained dropped columns.

Another interesting test:

CREATE TABLE test1 as select * from test;

now test1 table have the same structure as test
and try construct row instead of record:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_function() RETURNS trigger AS $$
DECLARE
_row test1%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
RAISE NOTICE 'NEW record = %', NEW;
SELECT * INTO _row FROM test1 limit 1;
RAISE NOTICE '_row record = %', _row;
RETURN _row;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER test_trigger before insert on test for each row EXECUTE
PROCEDURE test_function();

INSERT INTO test values (1);
NOTICE: NEW record = (1)
NOTICE: _row record = (1)
ERROR: returned row structure does not match the structure of the
triggering table
DETAIL: Number of returned columns (1) does not match expected column
count (3).
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "test_function" during function exit

So i can't return record, and i can return row from table of the same
structure. And that all because trigger function somehow think need
return all columns of table including dropped column.

If this behavior is not a bug, than documentation should be changed
(because "or to build a complete new record/row to return" will never
work if table contained dropped columns).