Re: 9.0: Too many features. Help us choose!

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.0: Too many features. Help us choose!
Date: 2010-06-22 07:55:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> All,
>
> So I'm compiling this, and I was surprised to see that a lot of people
> didn't consider the overhauled LISTEN/NOTIFY to be a major feature.  For
> those who voted "not a major feature", what was the reasoning?  I'm curious.

I don't remember what I put in for that, but here's how I thought on a
number of cases. The LISTEN/NOTIFY improvements are important to
people who have been using postgresql for a long time, and use it in a
way that's not all that common these days (look, ma, no ORM!). For an
*outsider*, it's completely irrelevant - they didn't know there was a
problem before (unlike vacuum which people have heard of forever,
nobody has heard of issues with listen/notify), so it looks more like
trying to push something because we didn't have enough relevant.

The insiders will read the release notes and the details. The press
release needs to capture new people.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/