Inconsistent index links

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inconsistent index links
Date: 2010-09-01 18:21:59
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi all,

I noticed that all aggregate functions listed in the documentation
index direct to a page listing all the aggregate functions and their
usage, with the exception of count, max, min and sum, which direct to
the aggregate function tutorial page. From the index, these sections
are indistinguishable from one another since they share the same page
name. I'm wondering if one should be named differently, like
Aggregate Functions Tutorial.

Also, any particular reason why those 4 aggregate functions go to a
different place to all the others?

The avg function is confusingly indexed only as "average", which
shouldn't really be a problem... unless someone types in "avg" into
their browser's find box. Maybe this should have "average" as a
primary term and "avg" as a secondary (with Pavel's 'median" function
to be added later). But next to this "average" index entry are links
to both the aggregate function sections, which are named identically.
I raised a similar issue to this for "privileges" in the index
previously.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion