Re: pg_archivecleanup should remove WAL files also in pg_xlog?

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_archivecleanup should remove WAL files also in pg_xlog?
Date: 2010-12-13 07:50:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 13.12.2010 08:44, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>
>> pg_archivecleanup removes unnecessary WAL files from the archive, but not
>> from pg_xlog directory. So, after failover, those WAL files might
>> exist in pg_xlog and be archived again later.
>
> A file that has already been archived successfully should not be archived
> again. The server keeps track of which files it has already archived with
> the .ready/.done files.

This seems to require

* archiver to save the last archived WAL file name in the shmem
* walsender to send it to walreceiver
* walreceiver to create .done file when it's arrived
* bgwriter not to remove WAL files which don't have .done file in standby

Right? One good side effect of this is that we can prevent WAL files from
being removed from the standby before the master archives them.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center