Re: s/xpm/png/g

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: s/xpm/png/g
Date: 2011-03-07 18:36:40
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 18:18, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 14:55, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The (large) patch at
>>> http://developer.pgadmin.org/~dpage/embedded_images_infra-v8.diff
>>> replaces all the XPM images in pgAdmin with PNG ones. This offers us
>>> two major advantages:
>>>
>>> 1) XPM images aren't supported by many graphics tools, and almost
>>> always require manual editing to fix the internal naming anyway.
>>>
>>> 2) XPM images don't support alpha transparency.
>>>
>>> The patch is a little complex, as it's not straightforward to embed
>>> PNG images at build time. Here's what it does:
>>>
>>> - Adds a new project, png2c, on which the pgAdmin project is dependent.
>>> - Adds a new build rule for .png files, which will cause them to be
>>> pre-processed with png2c, to create .pngc files which are C source
>>> code, containing the PNG data and some accessor functions and macros.
>>
>> Didn't we get rid of the beerware license in postgresql, to make
>> corporate lawyers happy? Are you sure it's a good idea to introduce it
>> to pgadmin here?
>
> I don't see why not. It doesn't *require* us to do anything. It just
> says *if we think* it's worth it, we *can* buy him a beer.

Yes.

It was removed from postgresql because of potential concerns from
*lawyers*. Don't expect them to be *logical*.

Given that it seems fairly simple code, it might be worth doing a
clean-room implementation.

>>> - #include's the .pngc files in place of the XPMs.
>>> - Updates the rest of the code to use the new accessor macros created
>>> in the .pngc files:
>>>
>>>    filename_png_img - represents a wxImage*
>>>    filename_png_bmp - represents a wxBitmap*
>>>    filename_png_ico - represents a wxIcon*
>>
>> Just to make it easier to browse and search, I'd use a prefix for that
>> stuf.. E.g. img_filename_... So you can do a prefix search and find
>> all references. Or maybe embed_filename_png_xyz.
>
> Maybe. I can't get that excited about it, as we've lived with _xpm for
> the last 9 years.

Fair enough. Though now is the time to change it, if ever.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/