Sr. Database Administrator at myYearbook.com

From: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Sr. Database Administrator at myYearbook.com
Date: 2011-02-09 21:33:59
Lists: pgsql-jobs

With over 31 million registered members and 9 million unique online members
per month, myYearbook has become one of the fastest growing social networks
on the Internet.

As a social media company, myYearbook strives to provide its members with
content and applications which are new, fresh, and innovative; this requires
that we remain in a state of ongoing development for many new Web 2.0
projects. Given our rapid growth rate and desire to build some of the most
dynamic and innovative social applications in the world, we are expanding
our database team and looking for a top-notch DBA to help support ongoing
development.

At myYearbook, our database administrators are instrumental in designing
scalable systems and they work closely with developers to design efficient
data access APIs. Likewise, as one of the most trafficked sites in the
United States, myYearbook offers a unique opportunity to work on
applications that will be used by millions of people and at an almost
unheard of scale. So, if you enjoy a challenge and are interested in
working on one of the largest and most complex PostgreSQL implementations in
the world, this job may be perfect for you.

This is a full time permanent position located in New Hope, PA. This is
not a contractor or telecommute position.

In joining our team, you'll enjoy a fantastic office location, a creative
and fast-paced work environment, and the exciting opportunity to be part of
a fast-growing and profitable venture-backed company.

Core Responsibilities:

- Manage and maintain existing Postgres infrastructure
- Work with DBA team to ensure database performance and reliability
- Maintain monitoring and reporting systems for our large Postgres
cluster
- Perform data retention, mining and maintenance tasks
- Work with engineering teams to create and enhance schema and database
APIs

Requirements:

- 5+ years of database administration experience
- 2+ years of Postgres experience
- 5+ years of experience working in UNIX/Linux environments
- 2+ years of experience working with very large databases
- Availability to write advanced SQL queries
- Experience with operations related database tasks such as monitoring,
performance tuning, backup and recovery.
- Ability to program in at least two of the following languages: C, PHP,
Python, Perl, Java
- Strong knowledge of BASH scripting

Things we like to see:

- Significant Postgres experience (administration, hacking, or internals)
- A strong understanding of clustering methodologies and optimizations
- Experience in large scale OLTP environments
- Advanced knowledge of PL/pgSQL
- Experience with Skytools (specifically PgBouncer and PL/Proxy)
- Experience with various Postgres replication systems
- Postgres community activity
- A background in programming or computer science

We Offer:

- Competitive salary, title and job responsibilities commensurate with
experience
- Comprehensive benefits including:
- An open source friendly organization
- A flexible, fun working environment
- A great location

Please email resumes to gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com