Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page
Date: 2011-01-27 17:29:30
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 15:21, Cédric Villemain
<cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2011/1/21 Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>:
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:15, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>>> I have just learned that EnterpriseDB provides both platform-specific
>>> binaries and platform-specific zip/tar files, which are hosted here:
>>>
>>>        http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload
>>>
>>> We link to that page from our Windows download page:
>>>
>>>        http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
>>>
>>>        Advanced users can also download a zip archive of the binaries,
>>>        without the installer.
>>>
>>> but not from any of the other platform web page, like Linux:
>>>
>>>        http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
>>>
>>> That seems inconsistent, and I had to help someone yesterday who was
>>> looking for the Linux tar file.
>>>
>>> Should we make a change to have these be more consistent?
>>
>> I guess we could. Did you run across this by accident, or did somebody
>> actually ask you? I havent' heard a single person *ever* ask for
>> binaries-no-installer for Linux - given that you already have the
>> choice of a proper platform package, or a gui installer, or source
>> (which is much easier to work with on Linux than on Windows, making it
>> a much more reasonable option)
>>
>> There are already painfully many options on that download page...
>
> Yes, it is several times that we face issues from end-users about our
> different download pages/options/links.
> May we consider reworking this area of the website for 9.1 ?

Yes, certainly.

Patches welcome.

But there's no point in even trying unless you first review the
multiple discussoins that have been around just that in the past two
years or so.

Can it be improved? Most definitely. But you have to remember that
someone like you is *not* the target audience for that page - you
probably know the URL to your nearest ftp mirror from memory anyway
(if not, what kind of postgresql consultant *are* you?!).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/