Re: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Henk Enting <h(dot)d(dot)enting(at)mgrid(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance
Date: 2010-08-02 20:21:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I do not completely understand what you mean with the destruction of
> reusability of ATOneLevelRecursion, currently only called by ATPrepAddColumn
> - in the patch it is documented in the definition of relVisited that is it
> visit info for each subcommand. The loop over subcommands is in
> ATController, where the value is properly reset for each all current and
> future subcommands. Hence the ATOneLevelRecursion routing is usable in its
> current form for all callers during the prep stage, and not only
> ATPrepAddColumn.

Well, only if they happen to want the "visit each table only once"
behavior, which might not be true for every command type.

>> I am of the opinion that the chances of a unifying solution popping up
>> are pretty much zero.  :-)
>
> Me too, now I understand the fixes must be in the execution stages.

OK. I'll go ahead and commit the patch upthread, so that the
constraint bug is fixed, and then we can keep arguing about what do
about the column bug, perhaps on a new thread.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company