Re: log files and permissions

From: "Stephen J(dot) Butler" <stephen(dot)butler(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Tharp <gxti(at)partiallystapled(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log files and permissions
Date: 2010-07-01 18:06:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Michael Tharp
<gxti(at)partiallystapled(dot)com> wrote:
> That said, as Martin mentions one can easily place the log directory outside
> of the data directory and set appropriate directory permissions.

If I can offer my $0.02, I recently solved such a problem on SuSE
Linux with apache logs. I used the ACL support on ext3 to give a
specific group read-only access:

cd /var/log
# Add an ACL for the 'www' user
setfacl -m u:www:r-x apache2
setfacl -m u:www:r-- apache2/*
# Modify the default ACL so that new files get 'r' for user
setfacl -d -m u:www:r-- apache2

Just pointing out that this problem is solvable on systems that
support ACLs w/o patching postgres.