Question about concurrent synchronous and asynchronous commits

From: Dan Birken <birken(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question about concurrent synchronous and asynchronous commits
Date: 2011-01-12 05:03:48
Lists: pgsql-general

I notice on the documentation page about Asynchronous Commit (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/wal-async-commit.html*)*, it says
the follow "The user can select the commit mode of each transaction, so that
it is possible to have both synchronous and asynchronous commit transactions
running concurrently". Now out of curiously, I have a couple questions
about the details of this.

If I commit asynchronously and then follow that with a synchronous commit,
does that flush the asynchronous commit as well?

Is the WAL strictly linear in that commit order must always replay back in
the order that transactions return on the server, regardless of whether they
are asynchronous or synchronous?

Thanks,
Dan