Re: Help with date query

From: Matthew Walden <matthew(dot)walden(at)bcs(dot)org>
To: richard terry <rterry(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: PostgreSQL - newbie <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help with date query
Date: 2010-11-22 12:10:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

Richard,

You can create an index on a date column. I don't think it should take too
long to create on a table that size but just be aware that updates and
inserts will not be allowed while it is being created. You'll probably find
your query flies once it has been created.

If you have access to psql I would personally want to create an explain plan
of the SQL before and after the index creation to confirm it is worth the
maintenance cost.

--
View my Linkedin profile <http://uk.linkedin.com/in/matthewdwalden>