Re: BUG #5767: Memory Leak

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Darryl Pye <darrylpye(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5767: Memory Leak
Date: 2010-11-25 08:46:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 05:28, Darryl Pye <darrylpye(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      5767
> Logged by:          Darryl Pye
> Email address:      darrylpye(at)hotmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.01
> Operating system:   Windows Server  2008
> Details:
>
> A single postgres  process  appears to be constantly growing in memory usage
>  until it reaches 100% of memory on the machine.
>
> I have rebooted the server and the problem goes away but then  a single
> postgres.exe process continues to  eat memory until it uses all available
> ram then i have to restart again.
>
> Machine has 4 gig of ram available.
> I am able to watch the process grow constantly at approximately  8kb every
> second.
>
> Until it reaches  4gig.
>
> I have made the following configuration changes from default
> shared_buffers = 1GB
> wal_buffers = 1MB
> effective_cache_size = 2GB

What are your work_mem and maintenance_work_mem settings?

And which of the postgres processes is it, and what's it doing? You
can use Process Explorer to look at the process, and find a handle
called something starting with "pgident" - that one will contain a
description of the process, just like the title does on Unix. Or you
can look up the process id in the pg_stat_activity view to identify
it.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/